Through my career, I’ve worked as both a Frontend and Backend developer. As a technical director, I’ve gained experience leading teams and expanded my knowledge base to include the full spectrum of web development.
Tech experience includes projects using:
- CMSes: ExpressionEngine, Craft CMS and most recently Drupal
- E-commerce: Shopify and Magento
- Marketing software: HubSpot, MailChimp and Campaign Monitor
- Chatbots: with Dialogflow and Chatbot
- Booking systems: Tabs, SecuTix and SynXis Central Reservation System
Non-development experience includes:
- Requirements gathering
- Digital landscape mapping
- Wireframe and Design consultation
- Technical consultation including system evaluation and recommendation
Development director at Redweb leading the PHP Drupal development team. The main objectives of my role at Redweb are to:
- Improve the development processes within the development teams
- Implement and promote a DevOps culture for the wider agency teams
- Oversee the delivery of client projects gathering user requirements and working with clients and Redweb delivery teams to successfully deliver projects
- Improve documentation of client projects
Delivering projects using both Iterative and Agile of delivery methodologies. Agile delivery for business as usual/continuous improvement projects and Iterative delivery for larger client builds.
Recent client sites include:
- Get into Teaching – a site for the Department for Education to promote teaching as a profession
- UEFA Euro 2020 Hospitality – a component-driven Drupal 8 site to promote and sell hospitality packages for the Euro 2020 tournament
Nixon Design is a full-service agency offering everything from website development, branding, print design, copywriting and SEO.
During my time at Nixon I progressed through the ranks from developer to Technical Director, heading up a multi-disciplinary team of both in-house and freelance employees. I gained a good understanding and appreciation of the importance of each discipline in producing successful systems.
Whilst at Nixon I used a range of technologies to produce and maintain over 100 sites. These technologies include ExpressionEngine, Craft CMS, WordPress, Zend Framework, Magento, and Shopify.
Examples of my work whilst at Nixon Design
Luxury Family Hotels – a chain of sites built using the ExpressionEngine CMS making use of the CMS’s multi-site functionality to share themes and functionality across all hotel websites.
Tresco Island – for this project I travelled with my team to the island to meet the project stakeholders and to assess the business requirements of the range of businesses on the island; which includes holiday cottages, timeshare sales, a spa, 3 food and drink establishments and a gallery.
Once the user research was complete I was then able to define the solution and deliver the site for the client.
Truro and Penwith College – the key objective of this project was to engage with prospective students to deliver course information across a number of media channels. The solution included interviewing a range of stakeholders, delivering a new website and integrating with a number of CRM and social media systems.
Time Out London
Time Out’s website uses a PHP Symfony framework. One of my main tasks was to redevelop the front-end (HTML, CSS and JS) from scratch for the site’s new design. This was then used as the basis for a full rebuild of the Time Out London site, as well as being sent out to all international franchises. Once this was complete I worked with the wider team to help build the new CMS and to integrate the front-end development work in order to relaunch the site.
I studied Computing BSC (Hons) achieving a 2:1 in 2008. My degree covered a broad range of topics including Software Development, Networking, Database Management and Internet Application Development. My final year and industrial placement focused on web-based development with my dissertation focusing on the user interface design of web-based systems.